This flavorful meal hits all the food groups and only dirties one pot = win! Pasta is the best way I know to trick your family into eating kale. I use chicken sausage that has some peppers in it. Try it with spicy sausage if you like a little extra kick. The pine nuts aren’t 100% necessary but they are a very nice luxury topping, if you’re feeling special!
Kale Sausage Pasta Bowl
- 12 oz uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 8-12 oz sweet Italian style chicken sausage sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 14 oz can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large bunch kale stems removed and roughly chopped
- 15 oz can cannellini (white kidney) beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shaved or grated
- 1/8 cup pine nuts toasted
Cook pasta according to package directions. Scoop out 1 cup of the cooking liquid and set aside before draining.
Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add 1 Tbs of the oil that the tomatoes were packed in (or olive oil). Add tomatoes, onion, and sausage to pan. Cook and stir for 10 minutes.
Add garlic to pan and cook for 1 minute. Next add the broth.
Stir in kale then cover and simmer 5 minutes or until kale is tender.
Stir in pasta, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, and beans. Top with Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Enjoy!