This dish is a family favorite at our house! It’s good year round with canned green beans, but fresh from the garden ingredients make it an extra special treat. Adjust the amount of ingredients and spice to your family’s tastes and feel free to throw in extra veggies like peas or chopped tomatoes.
Shepherd's Garden Fresh Pie
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 small Yellow Onion Diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 cups Green Beans Ends snipped, cut to about 1 inch pieces. Blanch in boiling water for a few minutes if you don't want them a little firm in the finished dish.
- 2-3 Carrots Peeled and chopped
- 16 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 4 cups Mashed Potatoes From scratch or from the box (no judgement)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese Cheddar or Colby Jack
- 3 oz Crispy Fried Onions Or however many are left in the can after you eat a few while cooking...
Heat olive oil in large pot or pan with onion and garlic over medium-high heat for a few minutes.
Add ground beef and stir until browned. Drain if needed.
To same pot, add green beans, carrots, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt & pepper and stir to combine.
Top with mashed potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Top with shredded cheese and crispy fried onions and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy!